[Air-L] user generated content, motivation to post

James Howison james at howison.name
Tue Feb 2 11:05:57 PST 2010

Interesting.

There's a great article about motivations to post in open source user support communities (one of the few articles with data on reading, not just posting):

Lakhani, K. and von Hippel, E. (2003). How open source software works: “free” user-to-user assistance. Research Policy, 32:923–943.

Highlight for me: people read to learn, and post when it's easy for them to answer.  What that says about "reinforcing their existence as subjects" I'm not so sure :)

--J
http://james.howison.name