[Air-L] method / methodology

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 18:20:34 PST 2010

Thank you Marj!

Yes I have seen the conflation of these two to my dismay, particularly in the field of Education. I have seen papers with sections entitled: Methodology

followed by a detailed description of research methods, sample sizes, etc.

I once defined research inquiry as a practice that:

describes/locates questions
describes/questions the methods used to frame or answer the questions
then question the answers

I frame that all as the practice of research - and the framework, the methodological assumptions are defined previously to the practice.

Cheers, Denise

Denise N. Rall, PhD. Special Projects, Faculty of Arts & Science,  Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW 2480 AUSTRALIA
Mobile +(61) (0)438 233 344 http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
"Darker Shades of Royal" Exhibition Opening SAT 27 Feb. 2 PM
Northern Rivers Community Arts Gallery, 44 Cherry Street, Ballina NSW 2478