[Air-L] offlist - Re: Privacy Buzz

Richard Forno rforno at infowarrior.org
Sat Feb 13 17:38:20 PST 2010

I agree .... again, while I don't use Gmail or Facebook, etc......I am more concerned with the personal privacy "violation" to/for friends than I am anything having to to with a state government.  Why?  Because i presume that anything I do/say in cyberspace, or has the possibility to transit through or exist on a server/service that I don't have positive control over, potentially can be intercepted or compromised for any number of legitimate or nefarious purposes.  That reality is not something one should fear only in totalitarian societiies, by the way.

That said, to me, the more sinister "motive" is what Christian talks about:  economic exploitation -- but I certainly acknowledge and appreciate those with political concerns here as well.    It's also one of the reasons I've been slow to embrace things like Facebook (I don't) and only recently began dabbling with Twitter and LinkedIn.   Put bluntly, I just don't like the idea of a for-profit entity knowing my social network, which can be used for marketing or other purposes that I may not appreciate or agree with.    Am I paranoid?  Perhaps.  But I am under no obligation to use these services, so if I chose 'not to play' it's no big deal for me .... even though many of my friends would love it if I joined them on Facebook.   ;)

-rf