[Air-L] Privacy Buzz

Jean Burgess je.burgess at qut.edu.au
Tue Feb 16 19:37:25 PST 2010

Mark, thanks for this - a bit in haste, but I want to dash off a reply
anyway.

It won't surprise you that I have a kind of inverse but complementary view
- first up, I want to suggest this: the fact that commercial motivations
drive the development of platforms for cultural participation and public
communication does not in itself negate their public, social and cultural
value.

However, the commercial imperatives of platform providers introduce
genuinely new and difficult questions, precisely because their ways of
engaging us as users, their regulatory mechanisms, their governance
structures etc etc take little or no account of their role in producing
public good.

Where you say Google's "provision of "free" services makes it come to feel
more like a public utility than a cutthroat commercial entity", I say it in
some ways actually *is* a public utility. And in fact our participation via
these platforms already includes the practices of citizenship.

We have seen this with acute examples like Buzz, but also people (including
me and Joshua Green) have written about issues like public archives - when
YouTube is in some ways a more comprehensive repository of popular memory
than many publicly funded cultural institutions, without any public
responsibility (other than complying with corporate regulation), where does
that leave us? I struggle to imagine how something like a public service
charter could be imposed on a global giant that has already run away with
the whole game; however it's useful to think through the role of state-based
regulation in terms other than "Censorship!". I also think your fantasy/plan
is a great thought experiment - especially thinking through what
transnational service provision might look like; how publicly funded
enterprises can innovate, and so on. As you say, kind of big questions!

But then thirdly, just because I want to say it (and not necessarily to you
personally), I must say as a cultural studies scholar I can't accept the
false consciousness explanation for how Googlespacebooktube have come to be
popular in the first place (we are seduced by the tools of our own
enslavement which we misrecognise as agency - by which one must mean,
*other* people suffer from this misrecognition). If we want to dream of
alternatives, then we need to understand this too, not as
seduction/manipulation, but in terms of an invitation to participate.
Although replicating the scale of Google is impossible and possibly
undesirable, how can not-for-profit, open source platforms, public service
providers etc create the same popular warmth of invitation and insistence on
usability above all that make Google, facebook, youtube, the iphone etc etc
commercially successful? [With the proviso that we obviously agree that
Google's recent behaviour has been anything but warm and gentle].

Jean