[Air-L] media environment / Internet as ecosystem

Jessie Daniels jdaniels at hunter.cuny.edu
Wed Feb 17 09:24:48 PST 2010

Hi Emiliano ~

Some of my work addresses your second point.   In my book, *Cyber Racism*, I
looked at white supremacists (neo-nazis, the KKK) as a social movement over
a long period of time and how specific groups did, or did not, make the
transition from print to Internet.

I also examined the issue of "recruitment" vis-a-vis this social movement
and the Internet.  Basically, I found a lot of fear (and moral panic) about
white supremacists "recruiting" via the Internet but not a lot of evidence
that it actually happens.  I have a lengthy discussion in Chapter 4 "White
Supremacist Social Movements Online & in Global Context," that takes up this
issue in detail.

Good luck with your research!

Best,
~ Jessie