[Air-L] Reputation and professional degrees

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jan 5 15:00:29 PST 2010

In an era where everyone has a still/video camera, a voice recorder and a notebook with them at all times, more amateurs are collecting the data that once was the sole province of professional researchers.

Just from Flickr, everyday photographers are helping out on Humpback Fluke cataloging, researching Waterbirds Diet and recording Caspian Tern movements.

Marj

Dr Marjorie Kibby,
Senior Lecturer in Communication & Culture
Faculty of Education and Arts
The University of Newcastle,  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604
>>> Liz <nwjerseyliz at yahoo.com> 06/01/10 6:56 AM >>>
<snip>
In The Long Tail, Chris Anderson discusses the cooperation & respect professional & amateur astronomers have for each others abilities and how they've come together to work on some research projects. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's more likely that this pro-am collegiality could occur in technology & media studies than in the social sciences.

Liz Pullen
nwjerseyliz at yahoo.com