[Air-L] distributed imagery and copyright [Air-L Digest, Vol 66, Issue 20]

paul caplan praxis at theinternationale.com
Wed Jan 20 00:47:07 PST 2010

Of course the use of an image by a Media (Big or 'Citizen') as an
element in a piece of commercial, or even non-commercial journalism is
an issue. Leaving aside the lack of professionalism as well as the
legality, here the issue is one of using an image (without consent)
because the image's 'meaning' (sic) is needed for the story.

The question I am working through is what happens when the image(s)
'used' (in a non-commercial, critical 'artwork') are being included not
for what they signify as an individual image but because they are part
of a distributed stream or flow where. It is the stream of media that is
being brought in that is the subject.

How, for instance do we understand
http://www.flickr.com/photos/content2bdifferent/3931755030/in/set-72157622279154599/
or indeed the Yahoo Pipes Aggergator I have put together:
olympicarcades.theinternationale.com?

--
paul caplan
content to be different