[Air-L] Reid Cornwell

Bob Rehak brehak1 at swarthmore.edu
Mon Jan 4 09:49:15 PST 2010

I'm a veteran of the troll wars initiated by Reid Cornwell a few years ago on this list. Basically, he began posting prolifically and pissing people off, then turned it around by accusing the list of discrimination -- suggesting in both implicit and explicit ways that one has to hew to a fairly strict code of behavior in order to be considered a legitimate participant here. He frequently fell back on the excuse that he was researching an article-in-progress on trolling.

For my money, he's a self-styled fly in the ointment whose guiding purpose and primary emotional reward seemed to be engineering exasperation in others. His rapid disappearance from the list once the conversation moved on seems proof of this. I too have noticed him on Facebook -- he's a friend of Henry Jenkins's -- but this current exchange suggests he has simply shifted tactics, building up a large FB profile with no actual "friend behavior" going on.

My advice: ignore him and he'll go away.

Bob Rehak
Assistant Professor and Chair
Film and Media Studies Program
Swarthmore College