[Air-L] Final Reminder - CfP: Networking Democracy? New Media Innovations in Participatory Politics

Dan Mercea dmm505 at york.ac.uk
Mon Jan 4 05:41:40 PST 2010

Dear all,

This is a gentle reminder that the final deadline for our CfP is fast
approaching. If you would like to attend our symposium please send us your
abstracts before 11 January. Apologies for cross-postings.

Best wishes,

Dan

Call for Papers:

“Networking Democracy? New media innovations in participatory politics”

A three day Symposium to be held at Babeş-Bolyai University, Cluj, Romania

25-27 June 2010

Website:

http://www.brisc.info/NetDem/index.php?page=networking-democracy

Democratic politics worldwide are increasingly being conducted and
re-configured through the domain of digital communications networks. The
socio-technical developments, such as Web 2.0, facilitating these
media-saturated public spheres are in little doubt. What is highly
contested however is the interpretation of what these profound changes
offer for democratic governance in the twenty-first century. At its heart
is the recognition that these new media networks are themselves the crucial
site for a historical confrontation between opposing political and/or
business interests and discourses intent upon forging new forms of social
relations.

We will address questions such as:

What new forms and relations of power are produced in the digital network
society?

Who are the key social actors shaping the new public sphere and what are
their respective strategies, framing, and repertoires of action?

What is the democratic potential of Web 2.0 applications such as social
networking, blogging and twittering?

What empirical evidence do we have to understand and assess these
developments?

How is networked democracy influencing new democratic societies?

What are its consequences for human rights, social sorting, migration,
e-government, community politics, surveillance, protest, participation,
culture, identity, mobilization, representation, nationalism, security,
citizen journalism, trust, regulation, both exogenous and self-regulation
and much more?

Speakers include:

W. Lance Bennett <http://depts.washington.edu/bennett/about.html>,
University of Washington, USA

Bruce Bimber <http://www.polsci.ucsb.edu/faculty/bimber/>, University of
California at Santa Barbara, USA

Donatella Della Porta
<http://www.eui.eu/DepartmentsAndCentres/PoliticalAndSocialSciences/People/Professors/Profiles/todump/bioDellaporta.aspx>,
European University Institute, Italy

William H. Dutton <http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/people/faculty.cfm?id=1>, Oxford
Internet Institute, UK

Brian Loader <http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/soci/about/s_load.htm>,
University of York, UK

Rodica Mocan
<http://www.plaxo.com/directory/profile/141734557021/4e737db5/Rodica/Mocan>,
Babeş-Bolyai University, Romania

We invite papers from all disciplines which have addressed these topics.
The paper title, an abstract of up to 500 words, a short bio and contact
details should be sent to Dan Mercea, Department of Sociology, University
of York, Heslington, YO10 5DD, dmm505 at york.ac.uk <mailto:dmm505 at york.ac.uk>
before 7 December 2009. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out by 15
January 2010. For more details visit http://www.brisc.info/NetDem/

The event is supported by the Center for Political Analysis
<http://www.polito.ubbcluj.ro/cpa/en/index.html>and the European Studies
Department <http://www.euro.ubbcluj.ro/en/> (Babeş-Bolyai University), the
Science and Technology Studies Unit <http://www.york.ac.uk/res/satsu/> and
the Department of Sociology
<http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/soci/degrees/resscitech.htm>(University of
York)

Selected papers from the conference will be published in a special issue of
the international journal Information, Communication and Society
<http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/rics>

IMPORTANT DATES:

Submission deadline: 11 January 2009

Notifications of acceptance: before 29 January 2010

Symposium: 25-27 June 2010

--
Dan Mercea
PhD Candidate