[Air-L] Reputation and friending

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 18:42:57 PST 2010

All,

Forgot to hit "reply all" (risking setting off another debate - I hate
having to that).

Happy new year.

I have been bombarded with people I allegedly went to High School with
and without whom I have led a fairly happy life since. This has led me
to think about the oppressive qualities of social media. This puts the
receiver of the friend request - much like an in-person direct request
for friendship, which would be weird (IMO) - in an awkward position.
"Ah, yeah, can I get back to you on that...?" Such a request f2f2
would be, I think, odd and slightly pathetic, but is ok online. Maybe
it is just semantics.

I have discussed this with my students and many report the same
feeling. They have also mentioned the aggressive quality of the text
and that some friends get upset if there is not an immediate reply or
offended if they are somehow left out of a group text. The level of
"friendly" surveillance is almost stalkerish (if freinding is a word,
then stalkerish can be a word!).

This is not directly my area, but is anyone doing any research on this?

-TED