[Air-L] the case for critical commons

Dana Rotman danarot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 13:35:43 PST 2010

The phenomenon of the Hitler memes has gained momentum in several other
languages as well, including Hebrew (there are more than 50 Hebrew memes on
YouTube currently). This, of course, caused a heated debate about the place
(or lack thereof) of such parodies in a country populated by
Holocaust survivors (see http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1065210.html).

It is, indeed, a very sensitive issue - but then again, the core of many
viral videos is that of a ridiculing and offending effect as a way of
gaining attention, and no better way to get that attention than honing in on
one of the most emotionally charged topics of the 20th century.

Based on the statistics provided by YouTube, as well as upload date, the
original meme that started the frenzy was probably the XBox video of 2007.
Yet with this list in mind, I think that Hitler's take on the scientific
review process is an excellent example of the ways different communities of
interest take this video excerpt and make it their own, using domain-related
terms and key figures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VRBWLpYCPY

Cheers,
~ Dana