[Air-L] request: suggestions theories applied to Internet research

Ronald E. Rice rrice at comm.ucsb.edu
Sat Jan 2 19:21:27 PST 2010

Hi folks...

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions as to your favorite or most useful
theory applied to studying social aspects of the Internet, especially
adaptions of existing theories (e.g., diffusion, adaptive structuration,
uses & gratifications, SIDE, etc.) or new theoretical approaches (Walther's
SIP, media genres) developed since the rise of the Internet.

If you could provide a complete reference, and possibly a link to a central
document (and if you wish to be excessive, also a statement as to why you
think it's a good addition), I will, as we all do, provide a summary back to
the list.  Please send your suggestions to my email, not the list.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year!
Ronald E. Rice
Arthur N. Rupe Chair in the Social Effects of Mass Communication
Co-Director, Carsey-Wolf Center for Film, Television, and New Media
President of the International Communication Association 2006-2007
Dept. of  Communication, 4005 Social Sciences & Media Studies Bldg.
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-4020
Ph: 805-893-8696; Fax: 805-893-7102
rrice at comm.ucsb.edu