[Air-L] more fetishism

Matthew Bernius mbernius at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 07:09:38 PST 2010

For what it's worth, I think there's room for both types of scholarship
(public and internal/academic). In my opinion, anthropology hasn't done
enough public scholarship in recent years.Likewise, I think that there is a
need (and a responsibility) for open publishing (making all text available
to the general public) of all academic material, regardless of it's intended
audience.

That said, I also don't see a problem with using technical jargon if it's
used properly. Especially if it's the language of the audience we choose to
write for. The first task of a writer is to write for their audience and in
doing so we acknowledge the mediating role of lanuage and writing
(regardless if it's textual or some other form).

I'm not going to knock physical scientists for using jargon in their writing
that I don't understand.Nor am I going to expect that I'll be able to
understand some of the more in depth research that they produce -- not
without significant study. Likewise, I'm not going to take Joyce to task for
making *Ulysses *a slog to read.

The problem with this question of terminology is that it becomes a slippery
slope. At what point do we turn from terminology to critique phrasing? How
many academic writers come to mind who might not use complex words, but
instead use densely packed sentences with multiple ideas, often leaving the
reader equally befuddled? Take the writing of Bruno Latour for
example. *Reassembling
the Social* (which I'm currently rereading) uses relatively straightforward
words, but I think that the average reader could still argue that the
construction of the book is exceptionally "academicie" and difficult to
read.

Should we strive for clarity in our texts? Sure. But what exactly does that
mean? And that isn't necessarily the same thing as reach, though the two are
interrelated. As I see it, our goal should be to be as clear as possible to
the audience that we intend to be speaking to in order to effectively convey
the description that we are seeking to convey. And that influences the
language that should be used.

When I write for broader consumption, I may sprinkle some terms in (always
with explanations), but I assume that my audience doesn't have the same
exposure to that field and adjust my writing accordingly.

All that said, to restate, I (me, myself, I) am committed to talking to
audiences outside of anthropology and academia. And in doing so, I work to
bring the level of jargon and clarity into harmony with my audiences
expectations and experiences.

- Matt

Matthew Bernius
PhD Student, Cultural Anthropology, Cornell University (
http://www.arts.cornell.edu/anthro/)
Co-Director, Open Publishing Lab @ the Rochester Institute of Technology (
http://opl.cias.rit.edu)
mBernius at gMail.com