[Air-L] the case for critical commons

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri Jan 22 08:45:14 PST 2010

It is actually just a spin off of a meme that uses this clip from that movie, there are probably 30 or so different re-texts and mashups i've seen of this clip.  The joke, i think, of the meme is that it never ever comes close to the German, nor is it ever supposed to, nor is the content really supposed to be evil or really related to the clip, it is a play of contrasts and a play of hyperbole.   I think you hit it on the head, it is supposed to be contrary to intentions, that's sort of its point. Sometimes people re-vocalize the video, but usually they just subtitle it.    True it does for some play off the general ignorance of germans, but then the meme has traveled quite far and wide, however, i'm pretty sure that neither german, nor evil is supposed to be the point here.  I think the point of the meme centers around the banality of the reproduction and reconstruction of the meanings, well if it has a point at all and isn't, which it frequently is just a form of nihilism of the /b/ sort.

I posted this one because there was recently a big debate across a series of blogs about digital humanities versus media studies and I think the use of the meme here captures elements of the mutual critique.

I'm sorry you didn't find it worth watching.