[Air-L] REMINDER - CALL FOR PAPERS: POST-SOVIET INTERNET

Florian Töpfl florian at toepfl.de
Tue Jan 26 14:26:10 PST 2010

REMINDER – CALL FOR PAPERS: POST-SOVIET INTERNET

With this we want to make you aware of a conference, The Etiology and
Ecology of Post-Soviet Communication, which we have planned for the weekend
of May 7-8(-9) 2010 at the Harriman Institute of Columbia, in New York City.
The focus of the conference will be the development of the internet in the
post-Soviet space, first and foremost Russia, though comparative work that
goes beyond this geographical focus is also of interest.

We anticipate panels on such questions as: emergence and evolution of social
networks; patterns of interlinking; the phenomenon of social contagion in
online communications; political clustering in the blogosphere and beyond;
public versus private identities; doublethink, cynicism, coded language; the
emergence of opinion leaders in the blogosphere; freedom of the press on the
internet; forms and degrees of censorship, online activism/social movements
on the internet; dissenters and political activism; democracy to autocracy
in the Russian internet.

We would welcome one-page abstracts sent to nmc.conference at gmail.com by
February 1, 2010.

Yours truly,

Catharine Nepomnyashchy, Alan Timberlake and Guobin Yang (Project Leaders)
Eugene Gorny and Florian Toepfl (Project Coordinators)

More information:  <http://nmc.wikischolars.columbia.edu/Conference>
http://nmc.wikischolars.columbia.edu/Conference