[Air-L] Inside Higher Education > The iPad for Academics

gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 07:20:55 PDT 2010

Colleagues/

Speaking Of iPad ...

IMHO > A Balanced Assessment > Not Only For Academe But Libraries As Well !

/Gerry

July 12, 2010 / By Alex Golub

After having used an iPad shortly since its release I can safely say that
the device — or another one like it — deserves to become an important part
of the academic's arsenal of gadgets. [snip]

At base the iPad is an anything box that replaces a seemingly endless
plethora of other things you already own: It's a TV, a radio, an MP3
player, a compass, a flashlight, a level, a deck of cards, a calculator, a
photo album, an alarm clock, a Bible, the Talmud (yes, the Talmud has been
ported to the iPad)... the list goes on and on.

The crucial question for academics is: What in our current arsenal will the
iPad replace? After using the device, the answer surprised me: the iPad
makes a lousy computer replacement, but it does a great job of replacing
paper.

[snip]

Apple deserves credit for making the thing as usable as it is, but it is
still not quite there.

[more]

Access to The Source/Full Text Available At

[ http://bit.ly/8ZyGZ6 ]

BTW: Do Visit If Not Just For The Comic/Cartoon > "Shakespeare Meets The
iPad"

Speaking Of Images >>>

Do Also View The Pic Of What May Be "The Largest Cell Phone In The World" I
Took At The Istanbul Aiport From A Moving Vehicle At

[ http://bit.ly/9pJ0z6 ]

On My Way To Deliver An Invited Seminar At Koç University > In Late April

"AnyTime / AnyWhere > LEARNING > Education In The > iPhone Age >"

[ http://bit.ly/bjXKYR ]

enJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan