[Air-L] RSR > "Making The Case For A Fully Mobile Library Web Site ... ."

Gerry McKiernan gerrymckiernan at live.com
Sat Jul 17 14:31:51 PDT 2010

Tom/Lists

Yes > Indeed > The Future > Will (As Always) Be Disruptive [:-)]

/Gerry

From: tabeles at hotmail.com
To: gerrymckiernan at live.com; hmc at listserv.educause.edu; air-l at listserv.aoir.org
Subject: RE: [Air-L] RSR > "Making The Case For A Fully Mobile Library Web Site ... ."
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:00:36 -0500

IBM has created a computer, Watson, which can rapidly access a wealth of data so fast that it can beat most experts at the game of Jeopardy and still maintain a sense of humor. In other words, within a short period of time, we could have a personal research assistant that is far faster, more sophisticated and more knowledgeable about an individual's needs for information of almost any profile. And, in fact, it might have multiple profiles to match personalities and needs of the moment.

Given the fact that many libraries, including academic institutions and public libraries are already linked so that once validated, a search or request can rapidly access many sources.

The question is whether or not the suggestion of a mobile library is just making a fancier version of the existing system when the whole access to information in general needs to be rethought. Do we need fancier and faster models of the extant system of personal searching or will this effort, a la Clayton Christensen, see itself facing the classical entrance of a competitive alternative, not very good now, but certainly potentially able to displace the existing metaphor.

thoughts?

tom

tom abeles