[Air-L] Ipads and fieldwork

Sarah Oates s.oates at lbss.gla.ac.uk
Mon Jul 19 01:24:02 PDT 2010

Hi, also this discussion has convinced me to probably get an iPad instead of a laptop for upcoming fieldwork in Russia in which we will interview people about online activism (or lack thereof) in Moscow and in a region -- we need a more interactive way to display websites and overhead projection not really feasible etc -- although I worry that the iPad itself might be distracting (probably not as a lot of the interviewees will hopefully be active on line and fairly tech-savvy).

Split design might be nice if someone used iPads for some interactions and standard laptops for others to gauge the effect ... hmmm ... probably the fieldwork in Russia doesn't have enough funding for this (we're even struggling to fund a few focus groups). I am theorising that having a more attractive 'window' into the Web will make people approach it as more embedded in their 'everyday' lives (part of our theory) ... maybe someone else could take up this iPad/laptop challenge? And publish in First Monday, say BEFORE my fieldwork? (:  Well, I can always test it out on my students ...

In regards to an earlier message, we are all *s, aren't we?

Sarah

Sarah Oates
Professor of Political Communication, Politics Department
University of Glasgow
Glasgow G12 8RT

Email: s.oates at lbss.gla.ac.uk
Website: www.media-politics.com <http://www.media-politics.com/>