[Air-L] Primary text on affordances

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at illinois.edu
Sun Jul 25 01:06:15 PDT 2010

It starts in psychology and moves into design and HCI. Along the way it changes from 'real' affordances to perceived affordances (see the later Norman pieces). Also useful is Bradner et al's idea of social affordances.  /Caroline

Gibson, J. J. (1979). The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception. Boston: Houghton Mifflin.

Norman, D. (1988). The Design of Everyday Things. NY: Basic Books.
But see also
•	http://jnd.org/dn.mss/affordances_and_design.htmlhttp://jnd.org/dn.mss/affordance_conventions_and_design_part_2.html

Gaver, W. W. (1991). ‘Technology affordances’, in Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems: Reaching Through Technology. New Orleans, Louisiana. pp. 79-84.

Gaver, W. W. (1996). ‘Situating action II: Affordances for interaction: The social is material for design’, Ecological Psychology, 8: 111-129.

"Social affordances"

Bradner, E., Kellogg, W., and Erickson, T. (1999). ‘The adoption and use of “Babble”: A field study of chat in the workplace’. Proceedings of the 6th European Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work. Copenhagen, Denmark. pp. 139-158. Retrieved April 7, 2010 from http://www.research.ibm.com/SocialComputing/Papers/AdoptionOfBabble.htm