[Air-L] The Date and the Version Thang

Yuri Takhteyev yuri at cs.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 28 18:49:21 PDT 2010

Numeric software versioning most certainly goes back much further than
Unix. Grace Hopper's pre-Flow-Matic compilers were called A-0, A-1,
A-2, and A-3. A-0 was done in 1951, nearly two decades before Unix.
(This was still on Univac, and the word "software" hadn't been coined
yet.) The versions of Fortran were similarly labeled "Fortran I",
"Fortran II", etc.

http://bit.ly/a0comp

The first X.Y style version that I know of is Lisp 1.5, from early
1960s. It was called "1.5" because it was different from "Lisp 1" but
wasn't yet the "Lisp 2" that was already already discussed. So, "1.5"
was supposed be half-way between 1 and 2. After 1.5 there was a 1.6.
(There are some papers on this from the 1970s in ACM Digital Library,
but not on the open web, so no links.)

I am not sure whether the later X.Y style versioning was influenced by
Lisp, but that would be plausible, since Lisp 1.5 was quite popular.
But perhaps there was software with X.Y-style version numbers even
before the 1960s.

  - yuri