[Air-L] Campaigns about privacy in internet

Seda Guerses sguerses at esat.kuleuven.be
Fri Jul 30 11:28:35 PDT 2010

one of my favorite authors on the subject remains jean francois
blanchette. he co-authored this article on the importance of
forgetfulness back in 2002:

Blanchette, J.-F. & Johnson, D. “Data retention and the panoptic
society: The social benefits of forgetfulness”, The Information
Society 18(1):1-13 (January/February 2002).

blanchette's work is also interesting because it reflects on the
tension between the unforgetting internet, matters of data
authenticity, and the huge problem of data preservation.

and, here is an article that might be relevant about a court in the
U.S. that accepted pictures from a social network site of a young
woman enjoying a party a number
of weeks after a car accident with casualties in which she was the
driver. The picture was used as proof that she lacked remorse:

Wagstaff E (2007) Court case decision reveals dangers of networking
sites. Daily Nexus
News, URL http://www.dailynexus.com/article.php?a=13440

Message: 2