[Air-L] All that Twitters is not Gold

Matthew Allen M.Allen at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Sun Jul 18 19:05:55 PDT 2010

Hi Ehon

Thanks for posing some useful questions (and yes, even in Western Australia we follow the curse of media commentary on the internet).

Can I suggest that you (and scholars more generally) might usefully do two things to refine our discussions.

First, I think we should distinguish between social media and social networking. They are related but, clearly, I can engage quite deeply with social media forms without engaging in social networking and vice versa. I think the research question we ought to be asking is "what is the relationship between the production, consumption and circulation of media through socially oriented online services and the processes by which people form, exploit, manage and break social network relations?"

Second, I think we should continue to consider the difference between communities and networks: these are multiply intertwined but, again, are not quite the same thing. Virtual communities have been around (both as constructs, objects and as a concept) for 30 years now. Social networks are like communities, perhaps part of communities, and social networking sustains communities and interlinks them. But, a community is not a network; moreover, what online social networking has done is take the emphasis off the 'virtual' (as a dichotomous term opposed to 'real'). Virtual interaction now layers on top of and weaves through interactions in the physical world to the point where they are almost part of each other.

In terms of information, why not look at some of the research being done in the UK - Rebecca Eynon, Sonia Livingstone, Chris Jones - on young people and new social media technologies? And, always worth a look is Henry Jenkins and his crusade/campaign on digital media literacy.

Associate Professor Matthew Allen
Head, Department of Internet Studies
School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts
Curtin University of Technology
CRICOS provider code: 00301J (WA); 02637B (NSW)
+61892663511 http://netstudies.curtin.edu.au and http://netcrit.net
2008 ALTC Teaching Fellow
Life Member, Association of Internet Researchers