[Air-L] Primary text on affordances

Yuwei Lin yuwei at ylin.org
Sun Jul 25 11:45:24 PDT 2010

The sociologist Ian Hutchby has "developed an approach to the social dimensions of communications technologies by combining empirical work in CA with a development of the concept of affordances, and applying it to multiple modes of communication including telephones, computer screens, video links, text-based expert help systems and real-time internet message exchange." (see http://www.le.ac.uk/so/staff/iph2.html)

IMHO these two papers are quite seminal:

Hutchby, I. (2001) 'Technologies, Texts and Affordances', Sociology, 35(2), pp. 441-456.

Hutchby, I. (2003) 'Affordances and the Analysis of Technologically Mediated Interaction', Sociology, 37(3), pp. 581-589.

Best wishes,
Yuwei
--
http://www.ylin.org