[Air-L] Ipads and fieldwork

Mark Warschauer markw at uci.edu
Tue Jul 20 16:54:25 PDT 2010

Charles,

You of course accurately pinpoint many of the limitation of the iPad
as a laptop/desktop replacement for academic work.  It will be
interesting to see how all these  things evolve in future years.  (One
quick suggestion: for importing files into the iPad, and maintaining
file structure as you do so, you might want to try Dropbox.  That
doesn't say anything about what happens to the file structure after
you use the files though.  I suspect there are also good apps for
taking notes on what one reads on an iPad, though I haven't tried them
out yet.  Nevertheless, the limitations you point out are spot on.)

However, my comment about comparing iPads to other tablets was not in
reference to what kinds of tablets may eventually appear, but what
kinds are available now.  I suppose there are tablets that do some of
the things that you point to, but I would guess that they are also so
cumbersome and difficult to use that they fail to serve their purpose.
 However, if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone here will let us know!
Mark

Mark Warschauer
Professor of Education and Informatics
University of California, Irvine
Education 3000C
Irvine, CA 92697-5500
tel: (949) 824-2526  fax: (949) 824-2965
markw at uci.edu; http://www.gse.uci.edu/markw
twitter: http://twitter.com/markwarschauer