[Air-L] Primary text on affordances

Jesper Aagaard Petersen jespaa at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 24 19:24:59 PDT 2010

Michael,

I'm sorry - my post wasn't a question.

Jesper.

-----Original Message-----
From: air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org
[mailto:air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org] On Behalf Of Michael Zimmer
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 4:20 AM
To: aoir list
Subject: Re: [Air-L] Primary text on affordances

Yeah, that's what the minds at Wikipedia are saying:

Psychologist James J. Gibson originally introduced the term in his 1977
article "The Theory of Affordances" and explored it more fully in his book
The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception in 1979. He defined affordances
as all "action possibilities" latent in the environment, objectively
measurable and independent of the individual's ability to recognize them,
but always in relation to the actor and therefore dependent on their
capabilities. For instance, a set of steps which rises four feet high does
not afford the act of climbing if the actor is a crawling infant. Gibson's
is the prevalent definition in cognitive psychology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affordance

On Jul 24, 2010, at 9:17 PM, Jesper Aagaard Petersen wrote:

> "I know the term comes from engineering"...
>
> I thought the term originated in perception psychology? J. J. Gibson's
> "The Ecological Approach to Visual Perception" (1977) and all that?
>
> Best,
>
> Jesper.

> Jesper Aagaard Petersen
> Research Fellow, Dept. of Archeology and Religious Studies NTNU,
> Dragvoll
> NO-7491 Trondheim, Norway
> Tlf. 0047-735-98312
> email: jesper.petersen at ntnu.no

Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies  (Interim Undergraduate
Program Director) Associate, Center for Information Policy Research
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org