[Air-L] The Date and the Version Thang

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 16:12:23 PDT 2010

Matt - (apologies to jeremy who got this first) -

I think Steven Levy discusses Macintosh methods for versioning in his classic:
Levy, S. (1994). Insanely great: The lives and times of Macintosh, the computer that changed everything. New York, Viking. or perhaps it is in the Hackers book (same author).

I also think there is a mention of versions/revisions in the other PC history classic:
Frieberger, P. and M. Swaine (1999). Fire in the valley: The making of the  personal computer. 2nd ed. Berkeley, CA, Osborne/McGraw-Hill.

But overall as I understand it, the revision naming conventions that the Mac uses came directly from unix. Look at Matt Ratto's work on Linux, might be something there. Also there's the Software studies people:

Software Studies: A Lexicon Edited by Matthew Fuller (2008) MIT Press.

Cheers, Denise
Denise N. Rall, PhD. Special Projects, Faculty of Arts & Science
Southern Cross University, Lismore NSW AUSTRALIA Mobile +(61)(0)438 233344 http://www.scu.edu.au/schools/esm/staff/pages/drall/
Popular Culture Association of Australia & New Zealand
POPCANNZ Conf. Auckland, New Zealand July 2011