[Air-L] CHE > Latest Attempt to Hawk E-Textbooks: Make Them Easier for Professors to Use

Gerry McKiernan gerrymckiernan at live.com
Sun Jul 18 12:55:09 PDT 2010

Colleagues/

In Case You Missed It >

/Gerry

Wired Campus  > July 14, 2010, 05:09 PM ET  > By Jeff Young

It has been hard to get most professors excited about e-textbooks, but publishers continue to try new ways to sell them on the format. The latest strategy seems to make the e-textbooks even easier for professors to use, by integrating them more tightly into the course-management systems they are already familiar with.

Today Blackboard announced deals with a major textbook publisher— McGraw Hill—and two college bookstore chains—Barnes & Noble College Booksellers and Follett Higher Education Group—to sell textbooks through the tech company's course-management system and to tie online assignments from the e-texts directly into existing online gradebooks.

And earlier this week, CourseSmart, which distributes electronic editions of books by major textbook publishers, announced a new feature that better links its e-textbooks with the leading course-management systems.

[snip]

Under its new agreement with Blackboard, McGraw Hill's series of online textbooks, called Connect, will link seamlessly with the course-management system. " [snip].

Links To Full Article And Blackboard And Publishers Links And Inside Higher Ed Article > Blackboard's Bid to Galvanize E-Texts Available From

[ http://bit.ly/9C3VhY ]

enJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan