[Air-L] Comic reflecting changing social relations with technology (Darren Purcell)

Justin Reedy jsreedy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 10:03:14 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I was traveling this weekend, so I just saw Darren Purcell's email with the
Arlo & Janis comic about social relations and technology. It reminded me
that I wanted to post a link to this blog post and comic from Penny Arcade,
a webcomic that is pretty big in the gaming world. Both of these are about
the (relatively) recent news about Blizzard announcing that someone's real
identity would be used to identify them in their online forums -- though
they have walked back some of that after a pretty big backlash.

The blog post (here) is pretty interesting, and has some good links included
within:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2010/7/9/

The comic is pretty funny, but it is profane, so be warned if that's not
your thing or if it's not safe for work viewing:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/7/9/

On a related note, the Penny Arcade guys often have some interesting things
to say about online gaming and technology in general. Most of their comics
are pretty sophomoric (as they'd no doubt be the first to admit), but they
also pretty smart and are tapped in to the gamer community. It's good
recreational reading if you are interested in seeing how the 20-30something
gamer demographic feels about the tech world.

Cheers,
-Justin

Justin Reedy
Doctoral candidate