[Air-L] Text analysis of blog posts and comment threads: discourse analysis vs. conversation analysis

André Brock andre.brock at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 14:22:19 PDT 2010

Alexander,

IMHO, i prefer discourse analysis for my own work on blogs/comments (i
actually use a variant of Critical Discourse Analysis).  I argue thusly
because, like others have mentioned, you need to contextualize the
discourses you examine - not only in terms of medium and medium-induced
conventions - but also WRT culture, gender, nationality, sexuality, and race
(there's more, but you already know that).

While content analysis can, in fact, be contexualized to include
sociopolitical influences on discourse, discourse analysis (to me) seems to
be a much more robust interpretive technique for understanding what
discoursants bring to bear as they discuss things near and dear to their
heart.

just my two cents...

André

Message: 2

--
Andre Brock
Assistant Professor - Library and Information Science/POROI