[Air-L] Net Neutrality issues from games and non-trad applications ?

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Tue Jul 20 14:28:08 PDT 2010

AoIR & DiGRA,

Many of you will be aware of the issues surrounding so-called Net-Neutrality and the various consultations that are being conduced by governing authorities around the world. While the submission date for the US FCC public consultation has passed, both the European Union and the UK’s telecommunications regulator Ofcom are still conducting public consultations, both of which close some time in September 2010.

Here I’m writing with my policy / the Virtual Policy Network (tVPN) hat on. What I’m interested in is ensuring that that these consultations hear a range of views that include those of the academy and views which encompass things other than just what might be termed traditional digital media.

That is I’m interested in what the specific issues of Net Neutrality might uniquely or particularly arise in relation to such things as:

- Online games e.g. FPS’s and ping time
- Access devices such as consoles
- Location based games and services
- Augmented Reality
- Social Media

i.e. those issues that would either not impact other digital media, or impact in a different way, or not form part of the usual debate over network neutrality for some other reason.

Obviously people can use this thread to discuss what ever they want, I’m merely noting that topics outside what I’ve outlined above are not likely to be reflected in any submissions that tVPN my issue.

I’ve put up a summary and some essential information up here: http://www.virtualpolicy.net/eu-nn

Lastly the net is global so I’m interested in views from everyone where ever you are based.

Ren
PS I / tVPN are not doing this for anyone, not being paid by anyone, etc etc.

--8<--

web: www.renreynolds.com

Think Tank: www.virtualpolicy.net

blog: terranova.blogs.com

m (UK): +44(0) 7778 285 273

m (US, only when I’m there): +1 646-417-0641

Skype: RenZephyr

Twitter:
twitter.com/RenZephyr
Facebook: www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=734676997

Linked-in: www.linkedin.com/in/renreynolds

aim | bebo | club penguin | cyworld | del.icio.us | EvE | gax | gia | habbo (UK) | iLike | jaiku | last.fm | LOTR (EU: Laurelin) |  MapelStory | pownce | profilactic | rupture | skype | secondlife | there.com | tumblr. | twitter | upcoming | wacoopa | XBox Live: RenZephyr

facebook | flickr | MySpace | openID | plaxo: Ren Reynolds
WoW (US Ettrig):
Cabot

Moshi Monster: www.moshimonsters.com/monsters/renreynolds
dopplr: www.dopplr.com/traveller/RenReynolds