[Air-L] Alexander Street Streaming Music Collections Go Mobile—Easy Access Options Include QR Codes

Gerry McKiernan gerrymckiernan at live.com
Fri Jul 23 16:50:13 PDT 2010

Patrons of subscribing libraries can now listen to hundreds of thousands of classical, jazz, world music, and other recordings from smart phones and other mobile devices.

ALEXANDRIA, VA, July 15, 2010—Electronic publisher Alexander Street Press has launched mobile access to its complete line of streaming music collections—including Classical Music Library, Jazz Music Library, and Smithsonian Global Sound® for Libraries—making it possible for patrons at subscribing libraries to listen using internet-enabled smart phones and other mobile devices.

[snip].

The publisher’s mobile access options include QR codes, or two-dimensional barcodes [snip] QR readers are readily available as free or inexpensive add-on applications, and many mobile phones come with QR readers pre-installed. QR codes can be auto-generated for every recording, album, and playlist in Alexander Street’s streaming music collections—patrons simply scan the image with their mobile device and start streaming immediately. [snip] Users can also send Alexander Street recordings and playlists to their mobile device using automatic email or SMS text options, or by navigating directly to a mobile-friendly URL.

At present, Alexander Street supports mobile access for all Android and iPhone devices, including the iPod
iTouch and iPad. Later in 2010, the publisher plans to release streaming access to its nine video collections, including American History in Video, Dance in Video, and Ethnographic Video Online. To learn more, visit

[http://alexanderstreet.com.

[snip]

Source

] http://bit.ly/creymp [