[Air-L] why iPad

nathan jurgenson nathanjurgenson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 06:30:04 PDT 2010

I think the iPad allows for a more seamless integration of the web and the
world. The clamshell design of a netbook versus the simple big screen on a
tablet provide radically different experiences. I have always been
uncomfortable with the always-tilted netbook screen at
conferences/meetings/classes. I feel more connected when what I have is
simply a small flat surface that can display whatever I want (papers, email,
web-surfing). That the digital content is less removed from the world makes
sense to me (perhaps it was all the Star Trek TNG growing up).

Also, I have found the keyboard to not be an issue at all. Personally, I
take notes by hand (the process of typing them is invaluable to me). My
setup is a folding iPad case with the iPad on one side and a small paper
notebook velcro’d on the other (call me a craft consumer). Opposed to the
clamshell design of a netbook, this setup allows for handwritten notes,
checking email and other surfing as well as typing – basically everything
all in one super light weight little package that is FAST, does not need to
be plugged in during the day, and does not tilt up and remove itself from
its environment. All of this lets the device disappear in a way that
netbooks don’t, providing a more fluid relationship between the web and my
world.  ~nathan