[Air-L] iPad as Research Tool

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 16 05:50:31 PDT 2010

Thanks danah for showing us 1 way the iPad could be useful in research,
rather than just entertainment or being kewl: "mine is bigger than
your's." ***I still maintain that the iOS is an inadequate engine, and as
for battery life, most peeps in all but poorest countries have electricity in
their homes.***

Of course, we're kinda obsolescent, but when NetLab did the
COnnected Lives interview, our piloting found that laptops were a
distraction -- both intimadating and fascinating -- and we went to a
modified paper-pen-stickynote data collection technique. Read about it in
our Field Methods paper (also on my website).

Bernie Hogan, Juan-Antonio Carrasco and Barry Wellman. 2007. "Visualizing
Personal Networks: Working with Participant-Aided Sociograms." Field
Methods 19 (2), May: 116-144.

Maybe it would be useful if CITASA, AOIR, CSCW had a session or 2 on data
gathering gadgets. I've seen lots on data analysis -- the Sunbelt Social
Network conference was filled with dazzling ones -- but little on the
pesky problem of getting the stuff in.

YMMV IMHO -- my .02

  Barry Wellman