[Air-L] History of the Cell Phone: Donald Linder | Retired Corporate Vice President, Motorola

Gerry McKiernan gerrymckiernan at live.com
Fri Jul 16 10:00:26 PDT 2010

Colleagues/

Speaking Of Large Cell Phones >>>

/Gerry

Earlier this month, CNN had story about the “Inventor of cell phone: We knew someday everybody would have one”, Martin Cooper.

Last spring, our Electrical and Computer Engineering department sponsored a Centennial Distinguished Alumni Seminar that was given by a colleague of Cooper, Donald Linder, a retired Corporate Vice President, Motorola, and ISU graduate.

“Donald Linder graduated from Iowa State University with an electrical engineering degree in 1965, and began a 36-year career with Motorola. In 1972, Motorola executives asked Linder and his team to create the world’s first portable phone. Linder was the primary designer leading a team of a dozen engineers. Roughly three months after the project’s initiation, the team celebrated their success: the creation of the world’s first portable phone, the DynaTAC Portable.”

I attended the seminar and was fortunate to hear IMHO A Most Magical presentation about the development of The Cell Phone >>>and hold (a prototype [?] of) the DynaTAC <<<.

It was quite an experience to handle “The Brick” > Although heavy by today’s standards, it was indeed revolutionary for its day [Yes > I *do* remember the 70s/‘80s [:-)].

The presentation was recorded and I have linked to it (and other appropriate items) in a blog post at

[ http://bit.ly/cYCHWj ]

Some may find it (too) technical, but I found it very personable … ; IMHO> Well Worth the 60+ minutes >>>

EnJOY !

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor