[Air-L] Call for contribution: Bilbao ICTs & Migration Conference, Nov. 10-12, 2010

P.J. Oiarzabal pjo at unr.edu
Tue Jul 27 00:36:11 PDT 2010

Call for contribution and
participation

ICTs & Migration Conference (University
of Deusto, Bilbao, Spain), Nov. 10-12, 2010

The International Conference on Information and Communication Technologies
(ICTs) and Migration will be held on November 10-12, 2010 in Bilbao, Spain. It
is hosted by the University of
Deusto, Bilbao.

The widespread use of distance-
and time-shrinking telecommunication technologies, such as electronic mail,
mobile/cell phones, and the World Wide Web, by diaspora groups, constitutes a
new dimension in the study of migrant and diasporic identities and cultures
within the context of transnationalism and globalization. This has attracted
the attention of scholars from a variety of disciplines, such as anthropology,
political science, philosophy, sociology, mass media, and computer-based
communication.

 The goal of the International Conference on ICTs and Migration is to provide fresh insights into a wide range of
dispersed populations and their interactions with information and communication
technologies. It will also explore the richness of the intricate realities of
digital migrant communities and diasporas as a true global phenomenon. This
interdisciplinary conference will facilitate a scientific forum of excellence
where international leading experts on the fields of migration, diaspora, and
ICTs would be able to share their knowledge and present their work to the
academic community and society at large. Besides the scheduled programme, the
conference will provide time for ad-hoc discussion groups and networking.

The
conference is free and open to everyone, whether you are a PhD candidate, a
young researcher or a senior researcher. Due to our limited budget, we cannot
provide any financial support to cover participants’ travel arrangements and
accommodation expenses.

this end, we call for papers and presentations from any discipline and
methodology (or conjunctions of different disciplines and methodologies) that
address the conference main themes: ICTs, new media, international migration,
and diasporas.

Please
send an abstract (for papers submit abstract of approximately 250 words and for
presentations submit abstract of approximately 150 words) before the end of the
deadline on 15 September 2010 to Pedro Oiarzabal at pedro.oiarzabal at deusto.es
(earlier submissions are welcome). You will receive a notification of the
acceptance of your paper or presentation by September 30, 2010. We will assign
your paper or presentation to an appropriate session.

Some of the speakers who have already confirmed their participation at the
Conference are:

Maren
Borkert, Keynote Speaker (International
Centre for Migration Policy Development, Vienna, Austria)

Andoni
Alonso (University of Extremadura, Cáceres, Spain)

José Luis Benítez (Central American University José
Simeón Cañas, San Salvador, El Salvador)

Dana Diminescu (TIC-Migrations, Fondation Maison des
Sciences de l’Homme, Paris, France)

Mihaela
Nedelcu (Swiss
Forum for Migration and Population Studies and Social Anthropology Institute, Bern
University, Switzerland), and

Adela
Ros (Internet Interdisciplinary Institute, Open University of Catalonia, Spain)

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Pedro J. Oiarzabal

pedro.oiarzabal at deusto.es

International Migration Research Unit
http://www.deusto.es/migraciones

University

 of Deusto
Edificio Central, Tercer Piso, Despacho 373-D
Avenida de
las Universidades, 24
48007
 - Bilbao