[Air-L] Studying online community

Annamari Martinviita martinviita at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 11:22:26 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I'm just getting started on my PhD studies, unfunded as yet, regarding
new social technologies and online communities and would really
appreciate any hints, tips and advice members of this list may have on
good information sources, relevant publications, events and so on.

Broadly speaking, I'm interested in how communities extend from the
online to the offline and vice versa, how participation in online
communities becomes part of every-day life, how the lines between
offline and online communication and relationship building are blurred
as access to online social tools becomes ubiquitous. More specifically,
I am looking at how new social technologies affect local communities and
what developers should take into consideration while creating new tools
with a view of fostering online community. I hope to come up with
results that offer an insight into how the concept of community is
changing for members of a hyper-connected society, and the implications
of that change for local communities. My research approach is ethnographic.

It would be great to hear from others with similar interests, and also
perhaps to discover fellow "sufferers" at similar stages of their
academic careers, for a bit of mutual support and encouragement. :) Of
course, any advice would be hugely appreciated!

Best regards,

Annamari Martinviita
PhD student
University of Oulu, Finland