[Air-L] Has there been any sociological work done on how precocious teens participating in online discussion affects them later in life?

Xianhang Zhang hang at bumblebeelabs.com
Fri Jun 25 10:12:04 PDT 2010

I made the observation to a friend today that there is a cohort of
precocious people, between the ages of about 13 to 30, who have had
this unifying experience of being online at an early age and
interacting with people significantly older than they were as peers.

My hypothesis is that this shared experience bound these people
together in a way similar to how moving around a lot as a child
created the phenomena of the Third Culture Kid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thi...
).

As someone who has gone though that experience, I felt like it's
profoundly affected my development, in both positive and negative
ways. I also feel like I'm able to identify other people who share
this background because it affected them in many of the same ways.

I want to learn more about this phenomena and I'm wondering what
resources are out there right now that investigate this?

Cheers
Hang