[Air-L] Studying online community

natalya godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 22:22:44 PDT 2010

Hi Annamari,
your comments about communities extending from online to offline and vice
versa remind me of this book:

Markham, A. N. and N. K. Baym, Eds. (2009). *Internet inquiry :
conversations about method*. Los Angeles, Sage Publications.

You might get something out of it, I did...  and it led me to read this one,
which I also enjoyed a lot:
Sundén, J. (2003). *Material virtualities : approaching online textual
embodiment.* New York, P. Lang.

My phd is about how people make sense of renal failure on online renal
discussion boards,  I'm a year and a half into my Phd, and I just started
participatory fieldwork in late May this year.  Lets stay in touch ;-)

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 4:22 AM, Annamari Martinviita <martinviita at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm just getting started on my PhD studies, unfunded as yet, regarding new
> social technologies and online communities and would really appreciate any
> hints, tips and advice members of this list may have on good information
> sources, relevant publications, events and so on.
>
> Broadly speaking, I'm interested in how communities extend from the online
> to the offline and vice versa, how participation in online communities
> becomes part of every-day life, how the lines between offline and online
> communication and relationship building are blurred as access to online
> social tools becomes ubiquitous. More specifically, I am looking at how new
> social technologies affect local communities and what developers should take
> into consideration while creating new tools with a view of fostering online
> community. I hope to come up with results that offer an insight into how the
> concept of community is changing for members of a hyper-connected society,
> and the implications of that change for local communities. My research
> approach is ethnographic.
>
> It would be great to hear from others with similar interests, and also
> perhaps to discover fellow "sufferers" at similar stages of their academic
> careers, for a bit of mutual support and encouragement. :) Of course, any
> advice would be hugely appreciated!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Annamari Martinviita
> PhD student
> University of Oulu, Finland
> martinvi at mail.student.oulu.fi_______________________________________________

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.