[Air-L] Choosing a Ph. D. program

Ted Coopman ted.coopman at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:55:27 PDT 2010

Hi Theo,

Before I flog my own program, I would suggest looking for existing research
on the areas that interest you and then seeing where the authors are
located. Always make sure there are at least 3 people at any program you
apply to that you could work with since faculty come and go without warning.
Get that paper for AoIR submitted for publication asap, you want that
submission on your vita when you apply. Finally, apply to multiple programs
(I applied to 7) to ensure you have choices and have a basis for negotiation
on funding and other perks.

Now the plug: Pound for pound one the best programs in the US -
Communication Studies at the University of Washington. Lots of heavy hitters
in new media both in Comm and at the I School. AoIR will be there next year.
Good funding with lots of TA slots (big program) and they are a "tool box"
program that allows space for a wide variety of research interests and
theoretical and epistemological approaches. Good teacher training which will
give you an edge when you come out - can't stress that enough They also have
good relationships with the local tech sector. Seattle has an NFL team with
a rabid and tech savvy fan base and is a large metro area with a small town
feel. Good town/gown relationship, pretty, great mass transit, great food.
If you can put up with Chicago weather Seattle, will be a cakewalk.

-TED

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Theodore Plothe
<Z1593072 at students.niu.edu>wrote:

> AoIR Peeps,
>   Hello all. This is one of the stranger requests that will come down the
> pipe, but Dr. Cornish said it was OK to ask, so here I go.
>   I will be graduating from Northern Illinois in the Spring of 2011, so I
> have to start looking at doctoral programs now. My research interests are in
> new media and technology and its integration with social networking and
> fandom with a journalism and sports media tint. (I'm really a quad) My
> thesis, on NFL Players and Twitter, has been accepted for AoIR 11.0 and I am
> pretty stoked to see many of you there. AoIR 10 in Milwaukee really opened
> my eyes to the field, and my research interests are brimming.
>   I know I'm not going to find an exact fit, but can anyone give me some
> advice? AoIR doesn't have a program database, and NATCOM is so vast, I'm
> getting lost in it. I've found some programs with AEJMC, but I'd really
> appreciate some guidance. Geography doesn't matter, but I have to stay in
> the States. My iguana and fiancé don't want me to leave. :( Thanks for your
> time and consideration!
> Until next time,
> Theo

Ted M. Coopman Ph.D.
Lecturer
Department of Communication Studies
Department of Television, Radio, Film, & Theatre
San Jose State University