[Air-L] 6th European Symposium on Gender and ICT - call for contributions

Anna Croon Fors acroon at informatik.umu.se
Wed Jun 30 23:40:38 PDT 2010

My apologies for cross-postings

First call for contributions:

6th European Symposium on Gender & ICT - Feminist Interventions in
Theories and Practices

Umeå University, Sweden, March 8 - 10, 2011

Information Technology is everywhere, shaping the way we experience
our lives, the world and each other. Some digital transformations
reveal new possibilities for improving social conditions, while
others suggest that social inequality may be increasing. In a
changing society, understandings of digitalization and politics
become important. Also, the performative and co-constructive nature
of gender-technology-work relations points to the importance of
paying attention to many kinds of actors (elements) in understanding
ICT. As such one of the pressing questions to contemporary gender and
feminist research is: How does gender and feminist research intervene
in and contribute to new directions and sustainable futures of ICT-
based practices?

The 6th European Gender and ICT Symposium we will take a closer look
at some of the challenges emerging in contemporary society related to
new configurations of bodies and technologies. The conference
reflects the diversity of gender studies, incorporating
interdisciplinary perspectives on information and communication
technologies, digital artefacts and systems. Once central focus is on
the ways imagination, knowledge and politics intervene with gendered
practices in contemporary societies. The theme for the symposium is
Feminist Interventions in Theories and Practices seeking
contributions that advance our understanding of how gender and
feminist research can contribute to sustainable futures of ICT-based
practices.We invite you to share your experiences!

Submission of abstracts	by October 1, 2010.
Submission of full papers	by January 15, 2011

For more details, see http://gict2011.informatik.umu.se

Program chair
Dr. Anna Croon Fors

Conference organisation
Anna Croon Fors, Karin Danielsson Öberg, Pirjo Elovaara, Maria
Jansson, Annakarin Nyberg, Christina Mörtberg, Johanna Sefyrin, Eva
Svedmark Ikonomidis

Department of Informatics
Umeå University
Sweden