[Air-L] mobile apps for universities

Steve Cavrak Steve.Cavrak at uvm.edu
Sun Mar 14 16:23:01 PDT 2010

Quoting Tracy Ann Kosa <TracyAnn.Kosa at uoit.ca>:

> I'm wondering if anybody knows of any interesting apps  that
> universities have developed for their students to use?

Hi Tracy,

One good place to "browse" is the Chronicle of Higher Education (
http://chronicle.com/ ) and search for iPhone ... you will catch a
large variety of mobile application news ... about 400 articles for
the last two years ...

Gerry McKiernan has a mobile libraries blog, listserv, and fan page on
facebook ?

- http://mobile-libraries.blogspot.com/

On my own iPhone, I have apps for

- DukeMobile (Duke University)
- iStanford
- iTexas (developed by students, not the university, running into TM issues !)
- UC Berkeley (The Daily Cal, a student run newspaper)

as well as

- myTown

Not all university applications are developed at universities ...
aside from packages like Blackboard and Moodle, there are several
commercial sites that provide campus like portals ? e.g.

- http://www.campuslive.com/harvard
- http://www.campuslive.com/mit
- http://www.campuslive.com/ucla

---

There's also a set of middleware called "StudentForce" that data mines
institutional databases and repackages it for students and their
parents ? grades and GPA, term bills, banking transactions ("Send
money!"), meals and meal plans, tickets, ...

http://studentforce.ning.com/
http://sites.force.com/appexchange/listingDetail?listingId=a0N300000016aUcEAI

Steve