[Air-L] Fwd: mobile apps for universities

Conor Schaefer conor.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 08:57:12 PDT 2010

Peter, your point is well taken, namely that research dollars shouldn't fund
the expansion of marketshare for a particular company. But honestly, I do
find it a compelling research topic to incorporate the design of information
systems into education, rather than just the critique of them.

Sure, researchers love to observe, and that's all well and good, but why
always eschew agency? Observation is not apolitical, and as Heisenberg tells
us, it's also not a lack of interaction!

Designing "apps" (or applications, if it suits one better) is a challenging
prospect, and I think it would behoove researches to attempt to identify
meaningful criteria for designing them well. Isn't such active
experimentation in line with your perception of the spirit of research?