[Air-L] Call for Applications: ESF-Liu Conference - "Paying Attention: Digital Media Cultures and Generational Responsibility"
Nick.Triggs at uwe.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 03:50:58 PDT 2010
PAYING ATTENTION: DIGITAL MEDIA CULTURES AND GENERATIONAL RESPONSIBILITY
"Paying Attention" concerns the politics, ethics and aesthetics of the attention economy. This is the
social and technical milieu in which web native generations live much of their lives. It will address key
- What architectures of power are at work in the attention economy?
- How is it building new structures of experience? What kinds of value does this architecture
"Paying Attention" encourages dialogue between researchers from the fields of Cultural and New
Media Studies, Education, Communications, Economics, Internet studies, Human Computer Interface
Studies, Art and Design. It also seeks the input and insights of creative practitioners exploring critical
and alternative uses of new media forms and technologies.
- Jonathan Dovey, Digital Cultures Research Centre, University of the West of England, UK
- Patrick Crogan, Department of Culture, Media and Drama, University of the West of England, UK
Invited Speakers will include:
• Michel Bauwens, Foundation for Peer-to-Peer Alternatives
• Ruth Catlow, Furtherfield .org Independent Net Art collective, UK
• Jonathan Dovey, University of the West of England, UK
• Aphra Kerr, National University of Ireland Maynooth, IE
• Simon Poulter, Independent Digital Artist and Curator, UK
• Stanza, Independent Digital Artist, UK
• Bernard Stiegler, Institut de recherche et d’innovation, Centre Georges Pompidou, FR
• Tiziana Terranova, University of Naples, IT
Full conference programme, including list of invited speakers, and application form accessible online
Grants are available for students, early stage researchers and other applicants to cover the
conference fee and possibly part of the travel costs. Grants are distributed based on financial need,
ESF conference participation guidelines and scientific merit. Grantees must attend the entire
conference in order to benefit from the grant.
Closing date for applications: 1 May 2010.
ESF Contact: Anne Blondeel - ablondeel at esf.org
This conference is organised by the European Science Foundation (ESF), in partnership with the
University of Linköping (LiU).
More information about the Air-L