[Air-L] Registration for CATaC'10 / CFP for volume on New Media and Intercultural Communication

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 22:21:15 PDT 2010

Dear AoIR-ists,

The organizing committee of CATaC'10 (June 15-18, UBC, Vancouver, Canada) is
very pleased to announce that the registration and accommodations pages for
CATaC'10 are now available:  <http://www.catacconference.org/>

In conjunction with CATaC'10, we would also like to call your attention to
the call for papers for a volume on New Media and Intercultural
Communication, edited by Pauline Hope Cheong, Judith N. Martin & Leah
Macfadyen - appended below.

Please distribute to appropriate lists and potentially interested colleagues
- many thanks!
charles ess
Department of Information- and Media Studies, Aarhus University
Helsingforsgade 14
8200 Århus N.
Denmark
mail: <imvce at hum.au.dk>
tel: (+45) 8942 9250

Distinguished Research Professor, Interdisciplinary Studies
Drury University, Springfield, Missouri 65802 USA

==

CALL FOR PAPERS

NEW MEDIA AND INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION
Edited by Pauline Hope Cheong, Judith N. Martin & Leah Macfadyen

We are searching for articles to accompany the essays we have already
assembled for this volume which presents new scholarship on the
intersections of communication, technology and culture. While there has been
great deal of quantitative, social science scholarship focused on the
features and uses of new communication technologies, there has been less
emphasis placed on the role culture plays in new media use, particularly
from interpretive and critical research perspectives. This collection of
essays attempts to fill this intellectual void.
In particular, we encourage submissions from CATaC¹10 presenters and
participants whose work directly focuses on culture and its complex
interactions with communication more broadly and contemporary Information
and Communication Technologies (ICTs) that exploit the multiple
possibilities of the internet, including internet-enabled mobile devices.
Essays included will address topics such as the impact of culture
differences on new media use, particularly as it involves new media
diffusion, appropriation and the digital divide(s), for instance, how
culture influences the performance of gender, sexuality and identity in
various social networks, the important implications of culture for distance
education pedagogy, and how Web 2.0 imaging and texting interactions foster
and/or threaten cultural diversity, privacy and surveillance. We define
culture broadly as including gender, age, race/ethnicity, sexual
orientation, and other social groupings that may self-identify as cultural
groups as well as more traditional definition of culture as nationality. We
are looking for articles that address these (and other issues) in a variety
of contexts: educational, business and social. The articles can be
theoretical as well as empirical (data-based).
If you have written an article which you believe might fit our volume please
send it to newmediaculture at gmail.com.
Submission Details
Please submit a 500-700 word abstract (including important and initial
references) to the editors as an email attachment to
newmediaculture at gmail.com no later than 1. May, 2010.  Authors of accepted
abstracts will be notified by 1. July, 2010, and will then be invited to
submit a full paper to the editors. Articles will be reviewed by an
editorial board and should be no longer 6500 words (including works cited),
double spaced, in 12-point font, using APA format of in-text and works cited
section.  Use footnotes only for comments, not for bibliographical