[Air-L] Leigh Star

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 24 17:30:30 PDT 2010

I have sad news below, via UIUC Info Sci that Susan Leigh Star has died
unexpectedly. I Do NOT know anything more.

(http://www.ischool.pitt.edu/people/star.php)

My memory of Leigh goes back 25 years when Bev/I were sabbaticalling in
Berkeley/SFO. I got to know Leigh then as one of Anselm Strauss' last
students. (possibly The Last.) Like Anselm she was both grounded and
bubbly. I remember how excited she was as an early adopter of the IBM PC
Jr -- despite its hard-to-use chiclet keyboard. Always willing to take
risks. (Altho we laughed at the chiclet then, people seem to be happy
Berrying and iPhoning.)

After her PhD at Cal-SFO, Leigh went on to UIUC (where she met Geoff
Bowker), UCSD, Santa Clara U, and finally at the Pitt iSchool.

Happy Hugs, Leigh.

 Barry Wellman