[Air-L] DVDs for teaching internet/new media studies

Raffl, Celina Celina.Raffl at sbg.ac.at
Tue Mar 23 16:07:28 PDT 2010

Dear Holly,
I find watching short films sometimes very useful because it reaches diverse learning types (audio- and visual).

For my last course (on Open Access, Open Content, Open Source, Open Media) last semester we watched parts of "steel this film" (http://www.stealthisfilm.com) and "us now" (http://www.usnowfilm.com/) which includes statements of e.g. Clay Shirky, Don Tapscott (and many others - no insult!). Both films go beyond mere "new media studies".

Good thing: no bothering about legal issues of public viewing.

I am looking forward to hearing about other films, in particular for introductory courses to new media studies or information society research.

Regards,
:: Celina

www.celina.uti.at