[Air-L] Seeking e-learning case examples

Caroline Haythornthwaite haythorn at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 25 03:59:33 PDT 2010

I'm sure many of you are teaching online and learning for classes and/or more generally through online means. I'm currently writing a book (with Richard Andrews) on e-learning, a label my colleague and I use broadly to address learning in the digital age with a focus on adults and higher education learning with and through new media. The title of the book is "E-learning: Theory and Practice", to be published by Sage, and to be out in 2011.

I'm looking for cases of e-learning practice to add real-life examples to the book that otherwise might have too much of a theoretical emphasis. I'm hoping I can find at least a few of you to share these for the book. If you have a successful practice, particularly if you had a particular 'problem' that was addressed by social and/or technical design and implementation, I'd like to hear about it. I'm also interested in failures, so it doesn't have to have worked if there is some understanding of why it didn't work. Topics can range from in-class practices to outreach; use of traditional media to the latest in social media; learning for degrees to learning for personal interest; getting to know others to building online learning communities; individual teaching to administrative policies.

I want to include a number of 1/2 to 1 page cases into the book that will appear set off from the main text. I imagine these describing a particular issue or goal re the e-learning, the practice that was initiated, and how it turned out. If you give me the raw text, I will edit so these all conform to the same kind of structure.

Although I am asking for these to be freely given to the book, you can be named or not as you like with these cases. If I can't use the example as a highlighted case, I may be able to use as examples within the text and will attribute to you as an email or personal communication. And, if you have a published reference for the work I can include that.

Please ask me if you have questions, and probably best to send cases just to me rather than the list.

Thanks in advance.

/Caroline
Caroline Haythornthwaite

Leverhulme Visiting Professor, Institute of Education, University of London (2009-10)

Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 501 East Daniel St., Champaign IL 61820 (haythorn at illinois.edu)