[Air-L] Fwd: Facebook data destruction

Michael Zimmer zimmerm at uwm.edu
Thu Mar 18 06:32:41 PDT 2010

Thanks for sharing this, Christophe.

(I don't see this quote within the link you provided. Where is it from?)

I'm not surprised that Facebook has requested this action. But contrary to Warden's quote, I see a difference between the data being _available_ to commercial firms (which he means crawlable by search engine spiders, if I'm reading the post correctly), and having it _released en masse_ to the public in an easily digestible form.

Given the threat of a lawsuit, it appears that the former is allowed by Facebook's TOS, but the latter is not. And, clearly, there is the problem of taking the information outside of its intended context once you aggregate it and release it to the public, as I previously detailed here:
"Why Pete Warden Should Not Release Profile Data on 215 Million Facebook Users"
http://michaelzimmer.org/2010/02/12/why-pete-warden-should-not-release-profile-data-on-215-million-facebook-users/

Best,
Michael Zimmer

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Assistant Professor, School of Information Studies
e: zimmerm at uwm.edu
w: www.michaelzimmer.org