[Air-L] Re: Inside, Outside, Upside, Down - Privacy and Public

Carmel L. Vaisman carmelv at gmail.com
Thu May 6 23:27:12 PDT 2010

Hi Alex, it is a fascinating subject, can't wait to have the paper!

I pondered on the fact that mobile and silence communication (text) essentialy encourage privacy: interaction previously done by voice in a fixed location can be silence text through SMS and IM now. I don't know if you accept this as an example but people speaking on the phone at home or on the street are heard publicly and when they convey the same messages via IM or SMS it is quiet thus private. It allows children to keep secrets and lets gossip happen through SMS in the presence of other people etc. The mobility of mobile phone essentially increases privacy since you can walk away with it, and I know this idea of privacy was emphasized on early adaptors mobile phones advertising in China.

Carmel Vaisman
http://www.absolutecarmel.com
Twitter @carmelva