[Air-L] Inside, Outside, Upside, Down - Privacy and Public presence in the Internet age

MARIA AMPARO LASEN DIAZ alasen at cps.ucm.es
Thu May 6 13:37:17 PDT 2010

Well, people do not always delete IM messages, SMS or emails, specially when they relate to love exchanges, but not only. They keep them re-read them, and sometimes show them to third parties, sharing the content, asking for advice and even doing an interpretive work together.

For more on how the particularities of writing media, such as email, SMS or IM, of being reviewed, replicable and forwarded, make them particularly suited to be shared and then submitted to collective interpretation you can see Myers, Piers (2007): Sexed up intelligence or irresponsible reporting? The interplay of virtual communication and emotion in dispute sensemaking. In: Human Relations, 60, 4; 609-636.

All the best

Amparo